This is what happened. How could this happen?-Century Palestine rises to Command such an enormous influence on culture and imagination
The History of Christianity – From the Disciples to the Dawn of the Reformation.
Christianity Is the Largest and most extensive religious tradition worldwide in history. Fast 2,000 years. the The Christian faith has remained close to its original state. the Center of The western moral debate and Western conceptions of Human identity, just actions, and the ultimate meaning of life are all part of our human identity. It has both shaped and responded to history. to History has shown remarkable adaptability in a variety of cultures. Its influence and practice can be found in every country and every language.-Dritte of Humanity now associates in some manner with Christianity.
This is how it happened. How did the 1st sect of persecution get here?-Century Palestine rises to How can you have such an enormous influence on culture, imagination, spirit, and humanity? How did they do it? Christianity Weather the First critical stages of How did it develop historically and how did it achieve its essential and enduring cultural role
Explore the Answers to These questions will allow you to to
- One of the The most important and integral currents of History, and to Be clear of common misconceptions Christianity’s past;
- gain deep insight into the Origins of Western societies are characterized by and to understand the Relation of Faith to Politics, economy, and culture
- Learn how Christian institutions, theology and liturgy were created and developed.
- better comprehend the Cultural present, where 7 out of Ten Americans are Christians;
- Increase your appreciation of the majestic sweep of History that Christianity’s rise represents.
Speaking incisively to All of This and many other things. The History of Christianity: From the Disciples to the Dawn of the ReformationTells the Incredible story of Christianity’s first 1,500 years, in all its remarkable diversity and complex dimension.
In the Company of popular Great Courses Professor Luke Timothy Johnson of Emory University is your next stop the A dramatic trajectory of Christianity It began as a solitary operation. “cult of Jesus” to Its rise as a religious movement and its unstoppable power within. the Roman Empire to Its critical role as an imperial religious religion; its extraordinary growth in the midst of divisive conflicts and rivalries to the ultimate schism of Eastern Orthodoxy, Western Catholicism and its spread across the globe the Western world to Its flowering as an art form that shaped Europe over 800 years.
You will find 36 fascinating lectures to help you get to know each other. the These are towering figures of Paul, a Christian historian of Tarsus, Augustine, the emperor Constantine, and Pope Gregory VII, as well as many other pivotal players—kings, popes, saints, monastic figures, scholars, and mystics. Then you dig deeper into. the Rituals, doctrinal questions, and fascinating theological disputes that define the faith.
The History of Christianity: From the Disciples to the Dawn of the Reformation Brings to Life is a story of epic proportions that gives you multi-layered knowledge of Christianity’s origins, rise, and civilization-Your presence is important in this world.
The Forging of A Global Faith
Across the arc of the Story, you have to reckon with the Historical and theological landmarks that were formed ChristianityThese seminal moments are included in the book:
- The Jesus movement: Investigate the passionate claims of the First believers to Experience of ultimate, transforming power—and the It is the definition of the Movement exploded in the decades following Jesus’s death.
- Critical issues to the faith: Witness the early Christians’ implacable commitment to the new religion, which created strong ideological and institutional structures as well as a response to persecution through martyrdom. “apologetic” literature.
- Christianity Empire and the mighty: Learn how the Faith, once it had been established as the Rome’s official religion, which was expanded geographically under imperial control; how Christian culture was developed through architecture, art and ceremony; and the Politics became entwined in religion in a tragic way. the Interface of Popes, patriarchs and emperors of Rome to Constantinople.
- There are great controversies of theology: Deepen your understanding the Trinitarian controversies and Christological controversies have divided Christians between the The 4th and 7th centuries were centered on different conceptions of the Nature of Christ is fiercely contested in the famous Councils of Nicaea Ephesus and Chalcedon.
Get your instant download The History of Christianity – From the Disciples to the Dawn of the Reformation.
- The Brute between East and West Grapple the There are many factors that can overlap of Cultural distance, misunderstandings political rivalries and doctrinal conflicts that led to to the Final split between Orthodoxy & Catholicism the 11th century.
- The Flowering of European Christendom Experience the Amazing wealth of Christian culture in the The Middle Ages include the complex institution of monasticism, the Glory of The medieval cathedrals the Birth of Universities the Commanding presence of the papacy.
The Rich Diversity of Christian Experience
Charting the remarkable rise of Christianity, you uncover the Particular social and cultural realities are driving the development of the faith.
It is best to start early the You can locate it, of course. the Birth of the religion—and the movement’s powerful appeal—not in the The meaning of life of Jesus Christ, but in the first Christians’ life-Experience modification of the Resurrection. It’s amazing how early Christianity It was not “one thing,” Its amazing variety is easy to grasp of Expression through figures like the Thecla, a preacher who disguised herself as a man and was baptized by her own hand, in the Extreme ascetic practices and ideologies of the Marcionist movement.
You investigate the Deep influence and origins of Monasticism and its particular practices and ways of You can see the transformation of monasticism in your daily life. the dominant formal expression of Medieval Catholicism
You can travel the Geographical expanse of the Christian world from Persia, Egypt to Byzantium, Rome the British Isles, and you see the Lives of Every era has its ordinary Christians. the First Christian community in Palestine that is struggling to the High-end Catholic Culture of the Middle Ages
Faith, Politics and Civilization
In the course’s middle section, the The faith that was once counter-cultural is now mainstream. the pillar of the world’s greatest military and political power. Here are the issues you need to address the Tensions and challenges of This is the new role. the Roman Empire “converts” High treason is also declared for pagan sacrifices
You can track the Rivalries of As patriarchal centres, the Cities of Antioch, Alexandria and Constantinople compete for supremacy in the Inner City the imperial faith Byzantium: You are the witness the Intermingling is increasing of As faith and politics go together the bishop Ambrose of Milan demands public repentance of the Theodosius I the brutal Emperor, the Justinian, the Emperor, intervenes in the conflict between factions the true nature of Christ.
In the “Carolingian Renaissance” of 9th-Century Europe, you can see how the Charlemagne, the Emperor, responded to Papal patronage through sponsoring ecclesiastical Reforms and Support the Latin Mass You can see how it works. the papacy—aided by royalty and monk-missionaries—became the Central force in bringing about the Christian message to All of Europe.
Extraordinary Treasures of Christian Culture
All throughout the Course you observe the Deeply literary quality of Take note of this faith of the Diverse Christian writings available in Syriac, Coptic and Armenian the Formulation of The Christian Orthodoxy in the works of Tertullian and Irenaeusthe Philosophical treatises of Clement and Origen the Theology of the Scholastics of Abelard, Thomas Aquinas
It is worth studying the Long and vibrant development of In the Christian liturgy the Traditions of Public works, architecture, ritual and architecture. You taste the Elegance and sensuality of Eastern Orthodox worship with its ornate vestments and incense as well as processions is characterized by an elaborate style. Find out how the The medieval cathedral, which featured a vaulted nave and embodied allegoral symbolism, was a masterpiece of medieval architecture. navis, “ship”) shaped as an inverted “ship of salvation.” You can also observe the Role of Christian art in the Overlong conflict in Byzantium the veneration of Icons of religion
Finally, you are a witness the It is possible to flourish of contemplative mysticism in the dark era of the Inquisition is key to uncovering the truth the misuses of Doctrine and forms of Corruption that’s roused the First courageous reformers, boldly anticipating the Protestant Reformation of the 16th century.
A Story to Tell the Ages, masterfully Told
Recalling the Incredible story of Christianity’s unfolding, Professor Johnson draws on his own background as a passionate participant in this tradition, both as a former Benedictine monk and as a world-class scholar. This grand tapestry is a powerful and poetic work of art. of History is vibrantly alive when he takes you. to the defining moments of Christianity’s past.
In The History of Christianity: From the Disciples to the Dawn of the Reformation, you’ll look deeply into the Nature and the role of faith, the ethos of Our civilization, the Core concepts of Identity and ethics that underlie the Western worldview. This is history. the The most vivid, meaningful sense of the word: A question into the Past that opens the door to a compelling awareness of our present—of our living origins, our ultimate horizons, our deeper selves.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration Lifetime access
- Skill level All levels
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes